Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Big day at the races!

MCCarlaDoug
All dressed up!
Well, we didn’t know anything about it, but apparently the Melbourne Cup horse race is a big celebration and social event – plus you get to watch some horse racing!
MCTable
Good spot to watch the race

The First Landing Resort came by and invited all of the Yachties over for a day of “excitement and fun”, plus Happy Hour and free nibbles.  We couldn’t resist.
MCHeather
Lovely Heather

They were also having a Best Hat contest. You know us, we can’t resist a chance to dress up and win some prizes!

So, we joined up with our neighbors Cheryl and Karen (s/v Interlude) and Heather (s/v Kate) and grabbed a good table and placed our bets.
MCCherylKaren
Cheryl and Karen ready for the race

Not that I know anything about horse racing, but I picked the winner – Fiorente. 

He came out of nowhere to take the lead – pretty exciting!


MCBigWinner
Big Winner!
My $5 bet won me $35.  Yahoo.  Just wished I would have bet more – of course!

Plus, I think I won the Best Hat contest, which got me a free cocktail – a fresh mango smoothie.  Very tasty.

The First Landing staff also put on a very interesting Fashion show.

It was very entertaining watching these beautiful Men all dressed up (as Ladies) and strutting their stuff.

MCMensFashionShow
The Fashion Show - too funny!
They really knew how to work the crowd and had us all laughing.
MCDougHat
That's a Hat!

All the Men wore these beautiful handmade woven hats – just stunning and the flowers smelled wonderful. 

I admired one of the hats and they gave it to me.  Doug looked beautiful in it don’t you think?

MCHat
And another one - beautiful
So, we had a fun-filled day watching the Melbourne Races and will definitely join in again next year.

Next – we all headed over to the Sunset Bar for 1/2 price pizza night. 

Why not?

1 comment:

Ana said...

Looks like a fun time!